Snoring is perfectly normal but it should not happen frequently. If it happens frequently, it can have a lasting effect on the quality and quantity of your sleep and your room mates. Snoring can result to night time irritation and daytime fatigue. Why do you snore? Snoring happens when the air cannot move freely through the nose during sleep. As a result, the nearby tissues vibrate then produce a snoring sound.
Your room mate or partner wants you to stop snoring or at least minimize it. You cannot blame them because they deserve a peaceful sleep too. There are many solutions that you can consider. The easiest solution is moving to a separate bedroom but it will not totally eradicate the problem. To stop snoring, the first thing that should be considered is to determine the exact reason behind it.
You should know that no matter the reason or cause, it can be relieved. What are the causes of snoring? Here’s an idea:
- Excess weight: Being overweight can cause snoring for the simple reason that you are carrying extra weight around the neck or throat. If you are out of shape or overweight, you need to think about diet and exercise.
- Built: Sometimes snoring is just the way you are built. For example, you will notice that men tend to snore than women because they have narrower throat. People with enlarged adenoids or with cleft palate contribute to snoring. Though you cannot control your build, you can make lifestyle changes to stop snoring.
- Age: As you age, the throat will become narrow and the muscle tone in the throat decreases. Like your build, you cannot do anything with age but you can make significant lifestyle changes to stop snoring.
- Sleeping position: Another cause for snoring is the sleeping posture. For example, sleeping on your back will result to relaxation of flesh in the throat thereby blocking the airway. It will help to change sleeping position.
- Sinus or nasal problems: If you have sinus or nasal problems, it would be difficult to inhale. When this happens, it will create vacuum in your throat resulting to snoring.
- Smoking and alcohol intake: Smoking and alcohol intake will lead to muscle relaxation and as a result, you will snore. If you are also taking medications like diazepam and lorazepam, there are chances that you will snore.
You can also seek for the help of medical experts. There are many experts here in Singapore that you can go to. Do not let snoring keep you from having the life you want. Act now before it is too late.